East Hampton School Board meetings will be a bit earlier from now on.
Instead of meeting at 7:30 p.m., the board will convene at 6:30. The next meeting is Tuesday.
Superintendent Rich Burns recommended to the board to start the often lengthy meetings earlier in the evenings.
"Primarily, it is to make it a more convenient time for community to attend," Burns said. "Many of our administrators and teachers have an hour commute after the meeting. It is my understanding that the former board had work schedules that necessitated the 7:30 start time. Our present board does not have that similar concern."
Board member Patricia Hope said she was happy to see the meetings revert to the earlier hour. "The new time is easier for the majority of the board members and supervisory people, seeing that the meetings often run late," she said.
Like other school boards, the East Hampton board of education will turn its attention to the 2013-14 budget.
At its regular meeting on Tuesday, the first draft of the budget will be to the board, financial/audit committee, and superintendent. A regular meeting will be held on Jan. 22. The first budget work session is scheduled on Jan. 29.
The administration will present the proposed 2013-14 budget line by line during budget working sessions. There will be no public commentary during the work sessions.
Here's a run down of the rest of the board's meeting until the May vote.
- Feb. 5 - Regular BOE meeting
- Feb. 12 - Budget working session – regular education
- Feb. 26 - Budget working session – regular education
- March 5 - Regular BOE meeting
- March 12 - Budget working session – special education/related services, technology, library
- March 19 - Regular BOE meeting
- April 2 - Regular BOE meeting
- April 9 - Budget working session – regular education
- April 16 - Regular BOE meeting/Present the budget to BOE for adoption
- April 30 - Budget available to public
- May 7 - BOE budget hearing
- May 21 - Regular BOE meeting and annual budget vote and election of board members, 2 to 9 p.m.
All nominating petitions for board of education candidates is April 22. Voter registration is scheduled in the East Hampton administrative office for May 14 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.