On Tuesday, the county announced that it has been awarded a $125,000 grant from the State of New York's Dormitory Authority to fund the improvements.
"This grant will allow Suffolk County to offer a greater and more diverse selection of canoe and kayak opportunities for parkland visitors,” said County Executive Bellone. “The planned projects and improvements will help to promote this sport by providing safer and more accommodating access sites."
The following is a list of parks that will receive improvements during 2014:
- Indian Island County Park, Riverhead
- Meschutt Beach County Park, Hampton Bays
- Southaven County Park, Brookaven
- Green’s Creek County Park, West Sayville
- Peconic Dunes County Park & Goldsmith Inlet County Park, Peconic
- Blydenburgh County Park, Smithtown
- Miller’s Pond County Park, Smithtown
- Timber Point County Park, Great River
- Cedar Point County Park, East Hampton
- Lake Ronkonkoma County Park – Lake Ronkonkoma