.

Beach Access Group Donates $5,000

Money will be used to help fight the Napeague Beach suit.

Citizens for Access Rights, a group of East End residents who support open access to local beaches, presented a $5,000 check to the to assist in the defense of the current lawsuits on Monday night.

"It brought tears to my eyes," said Diane McNally, the head trustee clerk, on Tuesday.

CfAR was formed earlier this year in response to two lawsuits in which private individuals claimed ownership of the ocean beach at Napeague.

"This is money donated by the working class, local people whom this beach and the ability to access it means so much for the quality of their life," McNally said. "This is not the trustees' defense anymore, this is the town's people's."

Last week, in that a judge did not issue a summary judgement for the Napeague Beach property owners. "There's still a war going on. But, the first battle goes to us," McNally said.

The judge has asked for more information and, McNally said, it is her impression that the judge wants to rule by the spring.

Last year, the trustees set up a dedicated account for legal expenses and the money from CfAR will be deposited there.

tito October 25, 2011 at 04:01 PM
well done east hampton residents and CfAR. thankyou for protecting our public beaches.
Bill Graham October 25, 2011 at 05:08 PM
well done CFAR. AWESOME!
Springs Resident October 25, 2011 at 08:00 PM
CFAR: Vast majority of us are behind you and we know which one the Supervisor candidates is too.
MARTIN DREW October 25, 2011 at 11:52 PM
Excellent ; an example of putting your money where your mouth is ... Well done ; PS as a write in candidate ; (B) FOR THE RECORD I FULLY SUPPORT VEHICHULAR ACCESS TO THE BEACHES IN QUESTION ... Keep up the Fight .
J October 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM
Is that the supervisor who's running on the same line as multiple candidates that have signs posted on their streets telling people that access to the beach is private property and there is no trespassing allowed (with gates or security guards posted)? Or is that the candidate who is already in office and has said repeatedly the town's attorneys will work hard to fight this lawsuit and make sure the residents don't lose access to beaches?
Montaukman October 26, 2011 at 03:17 PM
The truth is a major victory was won by both theTrustees and the Town. Does anyone really want to change any more than we have to when the legal strategy in place seems to be working? Do we want to believe that candidates like Overby and Klopman whose neihborhood associations have reportedly posted paid guards to keep the public off the beach accesses in those neihborhoods actually believe in public access? Do we want to believe that their running mates don't know these things? Too many Questions for me this late in the game.
Surfprotector October 26, 2011 at 11:55 PM
Yeah, lets vote for a sitting town board that tried to bury the issue,until activists publicly had to force them to even acknowledge the law suit!
Montaukman October 27, 2011 at 01:57 AM
Lets remember surfprotector the three board members elected in 2009 were all rookies. They walked into a total financial disaster. They had little or no experiance with public life. They did thier best with the cards they were dealt. Nobody seems to remember the two other members of the board had more than 20 years of municiple experience between them. Publicly they offered none of the resolutions asked for by the beach drivers, yet they seem to be skating by without anyone questioning them. They are the standard bearers of their party and should be held accountable for their inaction. That is not happening. Why?

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »