The Strength and Hope Walk - hosted by Ski’s Open Heart Foundation - is set to take place at 8:46 a.m. on Sept. 11, 2012, and it's set to start in Montauk.
According to organizers in a release about the event, "The walk is being held to remember and honor Detective Lieutenant/MEC USCG Christopher M. Pupo (Feb. 2, 1972 to June 23, 2012) and all those that have lost their lives after 9/11."
In addition, organizers said, 50 percent of the money raised will go to a scholarship fund for Pupo's three daughters, and 50 percent percent will be donated to Ski’s Open Heart Foundation , which was created by the surviving wife, Debra, and children, Crystal and Sean, of Mark “Ski” Gajewski, to honor his memory by helping the families and victims of 9/11.
The walk will cover approximately 130 miles, and Ski’s Open Heart Foundation will be requesting volunteers to meet up with the walkers approximately every 10 miles so they can refuel their camel backs.
The stops will include:
- 10 miles: Montauk Highway w a x of Old Montauk Highway, Montauk Point, ETA September 11, 1146 hours (11:46 a.m.).
- 20 miles: Montauk Highway w x of Pond View Lane, East Hampton, ETA September 11, 1446 hours (2:46 p.m.).
- 30 miles: Montauk Highway x of Cobb Road, Southampton/Water Mill, ETA September 11, 1746 hours (4:46 p.m.).
- 40 miles: County Road 80 x of Springville Road, Hampton Bays, ETA September 11, 2046 hours (8:46 p.m.).
- 50 miles: Montauk Highway x of Tanner Neck Lane, West Hampton, ETA September 11, 2346 hours (11:46 p.m.).
- 60 miles: Montauk Highway x of William Floyd, Shirley, ETA September 12, 0246 hours (2:46 a.m.).
- 70 miles: Montauk Highway x of North Ocean Avenue, Patchogue, ETA September 12, 0546 hours (5:46 a.m.).
- 80 miles: Montauk Highway x of Carleton Avenue, East Islip, ETA September 12, 0846 hours (8:46 a.m.).
- 90 miles: Montauk Highway x of Wellwood Avenue, Lindenhurst, ETA September 12, 1146 hours (11:46 a.m.).
- At this point the walkers will stop for approximately 3 hours.
- 100 miles: Montauk Highway x of Bellmore Avenue, Bellmore, ETA September 12, 1746 hours (5:46 p.m.).
- 110 miles: West Merrick Road x of North Central Avenue, Valley Stream, ETA September 12, 2046 hours (8:46 p.m.).
- 120 miles: Atlantic Avenue x of Montauk Avenue, ETA September 12, 2346 hours (11:46 p.m.) (This will be last stop before final walk to Ground Zero).
The walkers should arrive at Ground Zero on Sept. 13, organizers said, at approximately 2:26 p.m., depending on access availability into the memorial.
All times are estimated arrival times,, they said, noting, "If everything goes beyond perfect, we'll be continually update the progress of the walk on our website."
While walkers will stop in delis along route for food during the night, Organizers are seeking volunteers to meet up at any of the above 10 mile markers to supply us with water and fruit.
Donations could also be sent to P.O. Box 484, Bellport, New York 11713. For more information, please visit the website here , or contact firstname.lastname@example.org , 631-258-1907, email@example.com or 631-457-2301. (See also the accompanying image.)