Police: High Speed Chase Ends in DWI Charge

Also, a man was arrested on felony assault charges after he reportedly beat another man with his belt.

The following information was supplied by the East Hampton Town Police Department. A criminal charge is only an accusation and does not indicate guilt.

• Tatiana Martin, 38, of East Hampton, was arrested on Nov. 21 on charges of grand larceny in the fourth degree and criminal possession of stolen property in the fourth degree, both felonies.

According to police reports, an East Hampton man parked his car in a doctor’s office parking lot on Montauk Highway in Amagansett on Nov. 20 around 2 p.m. and after arriving home, realized that his Apple laptop had been stolen from his car.

Martin was later contacted, police said, and placed under arrest and transported to police headquarters for processing. She was later released on $500 bail.

• Timothy Briggs, 25, of East Hampton, was arrested on Nov. 22 and charged with DWI, a misdemeanor. Police reports state that around 3 a.m., an officer passed Briggs driving on Three Mile Harbor Road, and he failed to dim his high beams.

He was stopped by police for the violation and according to reports, had a strong odor of alcohol on his breath upon contact with police, and bloodshot eyes and slurred speech.

Briggs reportedly appeared to be unsteady on his feet and failed all roadside field sobriety tests.

He was arrested, transported to police headquarters for processing, held for arraignment, and later given an appearance ticket.

• Gregory Simmons, 53, was arrested on Nov. 19 on felony DWI charges, with one prior conviction in the past 10 years.

According to reports, Simmons was seen driving on Three Mile Harbor Hog Creek Road by police, where he reportedly crossed over the double yellow lines, then back into his lane and over the white shoulder lane.

After pulling the car over, police said Simmons had a strong odor of alcohol on his breath, glassy eyes, and slurred speech. He was reportedly unsteady on his feet and continued to sway while he was standing.

Police said he performed poorly on all roadside field sobriety tests, and was arrested and transported to police headquarter for processing. He was held for arraignment in the morning, and later released on $2,000 cash bail.

Simmons was convicted of DWI in November of 2010.

• Kyle Ballou, 23, of East Hampton, was arrested by Southampton Village Police on DWI charges and charged by East Hampton Town Police with reckless driving, fleeing a police officer in a motor vehicle, and aggravated unlicensed operation of a vehicle after town police said he led multiple units on a high-speed chase that reached speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour.

According to police, just after midnight on Nov. 24, an East Hampton Town Police officer saw Ballau driving extremely erratically and recklessly while heading westbound on Montauk Highway in the vicinity of Cove Hollow Road. Reports state the driver was passing cars on the left unsafely, driving in and out of the coming lane of traffic.

According to reports, police followed the 2011 BMW through East Hampton Village, and the driver continued to pass through several stop signs and red lights, at times failing to maintain his lane of travel and driving over yellow lines.

Reports state Ballou – whose license had been suspended on Nov. 17 for failing to pay a drivers’ responsibility assessment – was reached over the phone by police and asked to surrender, though he reportedly refused. After alerting surrounding police departments, Southampton Village Police located him though were led on another high speed chase, according to reports, before Ballou surrendered in Southampton Village.

He was charged with DWI by Southampton Village P.D. and given an appearance ticket for East Hampton Town Justice Court.

• Guillermo Pillco, 35, of East Hampton, was charged with second-degree assault, a felony, on Nov. 24 after he reportedly beat another man with his belt.

According to police reports, a Bridgehampton man was brought to Southampton Hospital on Nov. 18, being treated for a serious eye injury. Reports state that the man had been invited to a bingo party in East Hampton, though after showing up, the man said he was not allowed in and was assaulted by a man who had made an inappropriate comment about his friend’s girlfriend. The man reportedly pulled off his belt and hit the victim in the eye.

Police interviewed homeowners in reference to the incident, who initially said they were unaware of a fight, but on Nov. 24, Pillco was arrested on Cedar Street in East Hampton and transported to headquarters for processing. He was arraigned and released after posting $10,000 bail.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »