Photos from the East Hampton Village house fire on Monday night show the extent of the damage to the basement, though firefighters stopped the fire from spreading to the rest of the house.
The East Hampton Fire Department was called to 43 East Dune Lane for a fire in the basement just before 11 p.m.
The fire was about to spread to the first floor when firefighters began an "aggressive" interior attack, according to a statement released on Tuesday afternoon. Firefighters knocked down the fire within 15 minutes, according to Chief Tom Bono.
According to East Hampton Town Fire Marshal Chief David (Buzzy) Browne, the fire appears to have been caused by an overheated ballast in a fluorescent light inside a basement food pantry.