Karen L. Haab, a Springs Fire Department advanced emergency medical technician, was honored as the 2013 EMS Service Provider of the Year award by the Firemen’s Association of the State of New York on Friday.
First Assistant Spring Fire Chief David M. King sent us these photos from the ceremony, held on the last day of the 141st annual convention in Albany.
Haab helped save a 77-year-old man's life after he broke his neck in the surf and he stopped breathing at Atlantic Avenue Beach in Amagansett on Aug. 4, 2012.
James Burns, the president, presented her with the award, while also recognizing John Curley, a former fire chief with the Bellmore Fire Department, with the Firefighter of the Year award.
Here's what some of our readers had to say about Haab's award:
- lauren: way to go Karen!!!! BIG congrats!!!! and thank you for all you do!!!
- tito: We are all lucky to have her around to help us when in need. Congratulation and WELL deserved.
- The Rev. Steven Howarth: Congratulations, Karen!
- Hillary Wyler: We are all so lucky to have you in our community. Congratulations to a well deserved hero!
- Kelly Dunham: We love you....
- Margaret Wickers: Way to go Karen, Congrats!
- Heather R. Dunn-Kostura: Congratulations Karen!
- Scott Pitches: Great job Karen.