A family was sleeping when a fire broke out and creeped up the exterior of their house in Springs on Sunday morning.
Chief John Claflin said his department was called to in Clearwater Beach at 4:46 a.m. The occupants of the home had woken up to a "crackling" sound and found a fire on the second-story deck. They started spraying it with a garden hose and called for help, he said.
"That probably saved the house," Claflin said.
The house, which overlooks Hog Creek, is listed for sale with for $3.495 million
First Assistant Chief Ben Miller arrived first on scene, and according to Claflin, Miller reported the fire was working its way up the back of the residence, on the deck, next to the fireplace. It was working its way up the side of the house to the roof.
Two engines, one tanker truck, and an ambulance responded to the call. "We quickly knocked the fire from the exterior," Claflin said.
They were on scene for about two hours though, making sure there were no hotspots.
Claflin said firefighters tried to minimize the damage to the interior the house, though there was some water and smoke damage inside.
He said the 's office was investigating.
While there were no injuries reported, one member fell into the pool as he arrived on scene in the dark. According to the Douglas Elliman listing, the house has a 56-foot vanishing edge gunite pool and spa with waterfall.
"Built by one of the East End's premier builders," the 4,800-square-foot house has 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, has a wraparound deck, and is on .9 of an acre. It is made of a combination of stone, wood and copper.