Driver Crashes After Nearly Hitting Police Out with Another Accident

Matthew McGuire was arrested twice last week — the most recent time he suffered a head injury after an accident on Stephen Hands Path.

Matthew J. McGuire, 22, of Springs, was arrested twice in one week; the first on a disorderly conduct charge at his home last week, and the second of which came after he allegedly tried to flee police, and suffered a head injury just days later.

His run-ins with began on Aug. 26, when police were called to a Glade Road home for an intoxicated man who was attempting to fight and ended up damaging the rain gutters with a baseball bat. In the arrest report, police noted that his brother stopped him from taking his motorcycle out for a ride, but that he became combative with him. Police also said he lunged at them. He was charged with disorderly conduct at 1:50 a.m. Later that morning, Lisa R. Rana released him on his own recognizance.

Five days later, , awaiting a flat-bed truck, when McGuire drove by in a 2005 Chevrolet, going north, at a high rate of speed at about 2:50 a.m. According to the report, his tires made a skidding sound and then he drove into the opposite lane, almost colliding with a police unit. McGuire did not stop when directed and drove through the intersection of Stephen hands Path and Cedar Street, past a stop sign.

Sergeant Daniel Roman, who was on Cedar Street, tried to pull McGuire's car over and soon after it collided with a tree on Stephen Hands Path, near Wheelock Walk. The sergeant found him in the vehicle with a head injury, but McGuire was able to get out of the car. The sergeant smelled alcohol on his breath. East Hampton Village Volunteer Ambulance Association transported him to Southampton Hospital, where McGuire refused to submit to a blood test.

He was charged with driving while intoxicated, reckless driving, fleeing a police officer in a motor vehicle, all misdemeanors, and first-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, a felony. Police issued him an appearance ticket and he was released into hospital custody. He was released later the same day, according to hospital records.

His vehicle, which police said had severe front end damage, was impounded due to an active suspension on Oct. 29, 2011 for pending prosecution by the court due to an alcohol related charge, police said.

As for the initial reason police were on the side of Stephen Hands Path, that driver was charged with DWI, as well.

Rebecca J. Rubenstein, 21, of East Hampton, was behind the wheel of a 2010 Jeep when it struck a tree approximately 500 feet north of Long Lane, according to police. She had pain in her right foot and left shoulder, along with minor cuts on her arms and legs. She was transported to Southampton Hospital, where she was treated and released.

In the morning, Justice Rana released her on her own recognizance.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »