Cops: Woman Takes Swing at Officer with Beer Jug-Filled Purse

Also: A Springs man reportedly sent 'alarming' texts despite an Order of Protection.

Montauk precinct
Montauk precinct

The following information was supplied by the East Hampton Town Police Department. A criminal charge is only an accusation and does not indicate guilt.

• A Springs man was released on $10,000 cash bail after he was charged with violating a court order and harassment.

Kelvin R. Jiminian, who is 36, was charged with first-degree criminal contempt, a felony, and second-degree aggravated harassment, a misdemeanor, on Aug. 19 at about 10:20 a.m.

According to police, Jiminian sent a text messages to a woman who has an order of protection that bars any communication, other than regarding custodial issues about their children, until April 4, 2014. Police said the texts caused the woman alarm.

• A 22-year-old Springs man was brought up on harassment charges on Aug. 13 after police stopped him on a traffic infraction. He reportedly didn't stop for a stop sign at Hollyoak Avenue and Church Lane at about 9:10 p.m., and it turned out he was wanted for an arrest. He as charged with second-degree aggravated harassment, a misdemeanor, and second-degree harassment, a violation. He was released on $300 bail after arraignment.

• A 31-year-old New York City woman attacked police after a dispute over cab fare in Montauk. According to police, the woman was intoxicated and was screaming about not paying for the cab ride on Aug . 25 at about 1:55 a.m. Though police tried to calm her down, they said she was screaming obscenities.

She dropped her purse to the pavement, and police said they heard glass shatter — police found it was a large, thick glass beer jug. Police said they were afraid she would drop it again because she was intoxicated, they placed the purse on the hood of the police car.

She became "enraged" and reached over the officer, grabbed the bag and began to swing it "wildly" at the officers, they said in a report. She hit one officer in the upper back, causing the jug inside to fall to the floor and shatter, creating a dangerous situation, police said.

Officers ordered her to stop fighting and place her hands behind her back, but she refused. She flailed her arms and kicked at the officers, kicking off both of her sandals. Police said she ended up cutting her feet on the shattered glass. She was eventually subdued and handcuffed. She was walked over to the Montauk precinct, where she continued to be combative. Officers tried to give her medical attention, but she refused to sit down.

They decided to transport to East Hampton Town police headquarters, and during the ride, they said they had to stop on Montauk Highway, near Abraham's Landing Road, to subdue her, again, as she tried to kick out the back driver's side window. She did damage the window frame, they said. She continued to be uncooperative at headquarters, and was held for arraignment in the morning.

She was charged with resisting arrest and fourth-degree criminal mischief, both misdemeanors, and second-degree harassment and disorderly conduct, both violations. She was released on her own recognizance.

• On the day before his 34th birthday, a Southampton man was arrested on three misdemeanors a few hours after police first pulled him over

Police said they saw a 2010 Dodge Avenger speeding on Stephen Hands Path, near Route 114, on Aug. 20 at about 12:20 a.m. During the stop, police asked him for his driver's license, but he said he didn't have any on him. Police allowed him to write down his name, warning him to be honest about who he was or he would face additional charges. Police ran the name he provided, and found he had a valid license with no warrants. They gave him a warning to slow down.

At about 3:40 a.m., police were dispatched to a possible harassment that occurred at Georgica restaurant in Wainscott. They contacted the possible suspect, and the officers recognized him as the driver they warned earlier about speeding. The defendant gave the same name, despite another warning that he would be charged with a crime if found to be lying.

His real name — and birthday — was later ascertained, and the man was placed under arrest. He was charged with two counts of false personation and third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, all misdemeanors. As it turned out, his license was suspended, police said. He was released on $100 bail.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »