Shellfishing in Sag Harbor has been temporarily closed after a marine biotoxin was discovered in shellfish samples.
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation announced on Thursday that harvesting of shellfish and carnivorous gastropods Sag Harbor Cove and Upper Sag Harbor Cove have been temporarily closed.
"The closure impacts approximately 490 acres in the Town of Southampton, covering all the underwater lands in Sag Harbor Cove and Upper Sag Harbor Cove and their tributaries lying westerly of the Lance Corporal Jordan Haerter Veterans Memorial Bridge," the DEC said in a statement.
Shellfish collected from a monitoring site in Sag Harbor Cove tested positive for saxitoxin, a marine biotoxin that causes paralytic shellfish poisoning, the DEC said. The DEC’s marine biotoxin monitoring program tests samples.
To protect public health, shellfishing is prohibited until further notice.
Earlier this month, , including all underwater lands in the Shinnecock Bay west of the Ponquogue Bridge in Hampton Bays and to the western side of the Post Lane Bridge in Quogue, were closed for the same reason.
In Riverhead, some 30 acres were also closed, including underwater lands in Meetinghouse Creek.
"Carnivorous gastropods (whelks, conchs, moon snails) feed on shellfish and may accumulate biotoxins at levels that are hazardous to human health," the statement added.
A map showing the affected areas will be available later on DEC's website.