No need to head to some cramped mall this holiday season — We have plenty of locally owned stores right here in town. We asked readers and looked for ideas on Facebook, and here's what we came up with — 10 local stores for you to go with your holiday list in hand.
1. Steph's Stuff in East Hampton: This Newtown Lane store is "stuffed" with gifts for all age; The Elf on the Shelf to Magna-Tiles and Gummy Bear Lights to scented candles and funny/useful kitchen items for adults. We're told you'll find a stocking stuffer in there for everyone.
2. Sweet'tauk in Montauk: Deborah Aiza's lemonade and popsicle stand has turned into a holiday market with merchandise from local businesses and artists. In fact, the store is having a holiday fair the next two weekends from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
3. Willow Unique Gifts in Montauk: From jewelry to clothes for your child's American Girl, to quilts and throws, Willow has a gift for everyone on your shopping list. They are open everyday until Christmas.
4. Ganeaux in Amagansett: Selling men's and women's fashion, jewelry, apothecary, books, and art, Ganeaux is a new store in the Amagansett Square, open just in time for the holidays.
5. White's Pharmacy in East Hampton: This Main Street pharmacy is not just for filling your prescriptions. With a wide range of cosmetics, perfumes, and other items related to looking your best this holiday season, you are sure to fill your needs . . . and cross others off your list at the same time.
6. Crossroads Music in Amagansett: Have a musician in the family? There's no need to search for the right gift online. The folks at Crossroads Music will be your guide. You can find them in the Amagansett Square, or just follow the music there.
7. Wharf Shop in Sag Harbor: From tiny furniture for a doll house to games and so much more, the Wharf Shop is packed with gifts for children and collectors.
8. Tack Trunk in Amagansett: For the equestrian on your shopping list, the Tack Trunk is the only place to go. Locally-owned and operated, the Main Street store has practical and fun gifts.
9. The Sag Harbor Variety Store: An old-treasure in Sag Harbor Village, the variety store has a little bit for everyone, but is particularly a great spot if you are looking for gifts for someone who's into crafting.
10. The Bargain Box Thrift Shop in East Hampton Village: Know someone appreciates thrifty? The Ladies Village Improvement Society's thrift stores, which also includes Bargain Books, has a large assortment of men's and women's clothes, shoes, bags, and knickknacks. Plus, your wallet will thank you.
If you found a great gift at one of these stores, tell us in the comments below. You may be helping a neighbor out who is stumped on what to buy.