The Hamptons International Film Festival is the big headliner for the weekend, but if you're not up for the film crowd, there's plenty else happening around town this weekend.
Let's start with the Monauk Fall Festival — the big community this weekend. The Montauk Chamber of Commerce hosts this 31st annual festival Saturday an Sunday on the village green, starting at 11 a.m. The best New England and Manhattan chowders will be crowned and there's plenty of activities for the kids, like a carousel, inflatable rides, face painting, pumpkin decorating, crab races, musical performances and even a Chinese auction. Saturday evening, there's even a fireworks display. And, on Sunday, Montauk Youth is hosting a Street Painting festival. Check out Maureen Rutkowski's blog for more on that.
Here are five other events happening around town this weekend:
1. ARF DOG WALK: ARF's 19th annual Stroll to the Sea Dog Walk on Saturday starts at Mulford Farm, then heads to Main Beach, from 9 a.m. to noon. Free microchipping, contests and treats.
2. AMAGANSETT AUDIOVISION FESTIVAL: Neoteric Fine Art presents a 3-day event featuring visual art, live music, screenings, performance art, installations and projections, starting Friday at 4 p.m. with DJ's performing in tandem with a lightshow and laser mapping. The festival continues throughout the weekend.
3. TRIUNE BAPTIST CHURCH CHICKEN DINNER: To raise money for its building fund for a new church in East Hampton, members of the Triune Baptist Church are holding a dinner at their temporary church at 33 Eastville Ave. in Sag Harbor, starting at noon. Dinner is $15 and includes chicken, homemade potato salad, Homemade macaroni and cheese, homemade green beans, and more.
4. SCREENING: "The City Dark," a feature documentary about light pollution, will be shown at the Montauk Movie Theater on Saturday at 4 p.m. Some scenes were filmed in Montauk. The filmmaker will participate in a Q&A after the screening at the La Bodega restaurant on the Plaza. Later, if skies are clear, the Montauk Observatory has organized a stargazing session in the Montauk County Park after the fireworks, at about 9:30 p.m.
5. FISHING TOURNAMENT: Star Island Yacht Club will host its third annual Striped Bass Tournament from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. Prizes will be given to the heaviest striped bass and bluefish, with $10,000 in cash prizes being offered.